Friday, April 23, 2010

I saw Smoky in the smokies

Day 13 - 4/23/10
What a day. I usually get mad when the weathermen get forecasts wrong,
but I can't complain today. There was supposedly going to be afternoon
showers, but it was sunshine all day, with only a few clouds later on.
Perfect hiking weather.

I was up about 7:15 and got out on the trail around 8 I'd say. The
first half mile was crossing the Fontana Dam, which was really neat. I
took some pictures on it and one next to the smoky mountain entrance
sign that came after the dam. Then it was all uphill most of the day.
I did maybe a mile with Gravy and Kentucky, but soon shot ahead of
them by myself. It stayed that way the rest of the day until about 1PM
when I met another hiker named Not Worthy.

I talked with him all the way up to the first shelter called Mollies
Ridge. I guess he lived in Maine for six years and was in the coast
guard. I told him about my grandfather being in the coast guard and he
said the Brewer name sounded familiar, so maybe you know him Far Far.
I don't know his real name though, sorry. When we were at Mollies Not
Worthy went down the hill for some water, and a minute later he yelled
something up to me. I couldn't hear what he said so I gave him a half-
committal grunt. He spoke again, and this time I understood. "There's
a bear down here." Whoa. I hopped up and grabbed my camera, and then
went down the hill to where Not Worthy was and sure enough there was a
bear hanging by the creek. It looked at us, kind of like it was saying
what's up? and then sauntered off. I couldn't get a good picture
though because I didn't want to get too close.

After that I went on past another shelter and there was a guy passed
out in there. He had a bandage wrapped around his head like he had a
toothache or something. Kinda strange. Now I'm at Spence Field
shelter, and I've met some new hikers I haven't seen before. One of
them, Poodle, gave me a second dinner so I'm really stuffed tonight.

Some other cool things today was I went up to the top of this fire
tower on Shuckstack Mt. and had an amazing view of the dam and Fontana
lake. I also saw a wild turkey out here, plus millions of squirrels
and chipmunks. Big day for seeing animals. And not that I'm keeping
track of this, but according to my guidebook I now have less than 2000
miles to go. Pretty neat.

I also wanted to clarify something. When I said in an earlier post
that everything is dry and dead, that was inaccurate. When you get
below a certain elevation things start becoming much more green. Like
when I went down to the NOC, that place was below 1700 ft. so
everything was green and alive. Up here I'm at 4900 ft. and you hardly
see a bud on these trees. You can actually guage your elevation based
on the level of green around you.

Also thought I'd mention the beard is coming along nicely. Can't
imagine what it'll be like at the end of this.

Chance of rain tomorrow is 70%, so I probably won't make it over
Clingman's Dome, but let's hope the weathermen are wrong again.

Total miles: 180.4

7 comments:

  1. Yooo. Brokski. Sounds like u had a sweeet day on the trail lots of cool encounters... I spent the day in htown with the fa doin yard work, burni brush, roasting mellows and eatin ribs. We missed u here for the nice day! Bet u can't wait to b home for some of moms slow roasted ribbys!!!! Only 2000 miles
    till ur indulgance :) I hope coopoh aka the weatha man is wrong again too so u can enjoy tomorrows adventure!!! Love ya bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coon Cat ! Are you introducing yourself as that? Sounds like you had a fantastic day. I can't believe you have already passed the 2000 mile mark! I hope you get good weather for Clingmans' Dome. We had a wonderful day here! Finished cleaning up the gardens...just need to do some mulching. Had a great bonfire in fact it's still going. BBQ'd some ribs and just had a fun day! As we sat around the fire watchin the sun set with the mountains in the background, listening to the wind and the birds, we felt close to you and appreciated what you see and do every day! You are in our thoughts every day. Love you Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi bro! nice day you had it sounds like. i bet its nice meeting the new people everyday. i want to hear more about them sometime if you remember.. anyways back to work for the next two days for me and of course its going to be nice out! love you very much

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got to see a bear (from a safe distance), but hopefully it's the last one! I look forward to seeing that picture though! Today work was alright, Josh actually DIDN'T drive me crazy! I didn't mind him being there at all, which is a first. I love you lots, and miss you lots, and think about you all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Coon Cat! I can't believe what great mileage you are accomplishing. I love to read your entries and to share your adventures. You are doing fantastic. I think we will have to have a family bash upon your return - to see the beard, hear the stories, and celebrate your success. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Coon cat-That sounds quite appropiate for a Mainiac (or Mainer) Is That going to be your trail name? If you see not worthy again see if he'll give you a last name - we may be old shipmates, but my time was sso long ago probably not. Mormor loves reading your blog as I do also sounds as if you had a great bear day the 23 You are doing great. love M& F

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Coon Cat- We think that is a very approopriate name for a Mainer or (Mainiac) as you prefer! That one seems to fit so well with Dan & Boone too. Mormor can't waiot till the comp. gets ready to read your blog-me too to be honest, You have been making some fine trail friends & getting some real knowlewdge of our great country. We're all with you in spirit, Dan Love, M& F

    ReplyDelete