Monday, April 12, 2010

Wow.

--------------------------------
Day 1 - 4/10/10:
What a day. Great weather. Lots of friendly people. Solid miles. I
started on the approach trail, which is 8.8 miles from springer mt. I
ended up stopping at stover creek shelter which is 2.8 miles after
springer making my total for the day 11.6. Although technically the
approach doesn't count toward the AT. Anyway, mom and Mary saw me off
in the morning, after I had signed in at the visitor center and
weighed my bag. It came in at over 50 lbs. Yikes! I definitely need to
work on lowering that. When it was time to go, I'll admit things got a
little emotional, but in sort of a strange way. We were all laughing
and crying at the same time. A mixture of joy and sadness I suppose.
The day went well, nothing to exciting or memorable except the high I
felt from it being my first day. Here at the shelter everyone is
really cool. There's 6 other guys who started THRUs today too.
Everyones excited and tired, including me. I'm going to be. Tomorrow
my goal is Gooch mountain shelter. 12.3 miles away. It'll be a push
but I think I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment